Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Don't get hung up on time past!


Time to reflect is always good, time to dwell is not. Best use of your time, is what will move you on and not keep you captive. This most always happens when you dwell to long on the past. We get hung up and fail to move on. We either become captives to the past, or we learn to use that time to move us on.

Paul wrote to the Philippian church in chap 3, that he had learned to use his time best to move him forward. Phil. 3:12-13-Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13-Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.

Paul did not get stuck in the past. He used it to move him forward. We need also to learn how to use our time to move us on and not to keep us captive in the past. We have a life to live, and we need to move on. Time should be a tool to do this. It is good to reflect, but never to dwell too long on any one thing. That is what gets us stuck in time.

As I care for my mom who has Alzheimer's, the one thing I hear most form people, is how hard it is to see her like she is. They had known her in the past, and this was not the same lady, mom, grandmother, they had known. That is what they want to hang on to. Is that bad? No, unless it separates them from her, or give them excuses not to visit.

They need to use the past memories to enjoy the present life, and treat her no different. She still smiles, laugh's and jokes. She just does not know anyone anymore. Reflection is good, but when you lose today, you never seem to move forward. I have learned, though it has been hard, to savor every moment I still have with her. I have been learning to reflect on the past and use it to move me forward and not dwell on the past and become captive to it!

Time to reflect is always good, time to dwell is not. Best use of your time is, what will move you on and not keep you captive.

1 comment:

  1. Have learned so much about time by writing these blogs! Hope they are helpful to all who take the time to read them!

    ReplyDelete