Monday, March 4, 2013

Nice to know you are there.


For some people the best help is just knowing someone is available and willing to walk beside them quietly. Proverbs 18:24-A man who has friends must show himself friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. The last half of that verse has always spoken to me. It speaks of a friend who will be there even when no one else seems to be!

I ask myself often, am I that kind of friend? Am I at the very least available when someone needs me or am I  or am I tied up with my own needs? Sticking close is the key being available gives brings some comfort. People do not always need to have someone fix them but it does help when they know someone is there. They know that person will pray, will talk with them, but as importantly listen to them!

We cannot and do not always need the right words or the correct answers. We just need to be there lending an ear, giving a little time holding them up quietly. Sometimes just a quick phone call, a simple card sent in the mail is all they need to get them back in focus. I know that is not always the answer but they help. When a person knows they are not alone. When they know someone out there is at least available it brings value to their life.

A friend is not a friend just because they are at your house everyday! A friend is that person, when you least expect it shows up at just the right time. Sees the hurt in your face even when you feel it does not show. Hears the trembling in your voice and just says I am hear to listen how can I help. They are the friends that will walk with you through the trials of life showing their imperfections also.

As the saying goes, "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."

For some people the best help is just knowing someone is available and willing to walk beside them quietly.


No comments:

Post a Comment