Monday, December 23, 2013

Alzheimer's does not have to mean loss!

As I was feeding my mom this morning, a thought occurred to me. Many people out there who are dealing with Alzheimer's, you are discouraged, feel like you have lost that one you have loved for so many years. Well we need to change our thinking! They may have forgotten who we are, but we still remember who they are! Moms, Dads, uncle's and aunt's, grandparents, they have not ceased to be who they are, they just don't remember, or are confused.

Though this is not easy for any of us, WE, need to make sure we remember who they are! Mom is still mom, Dad, dad, we need to savor every minute we have, yes it is work, it is hard, but they are so worth it! When we can come to this point, and not look upon this disease as loss, we gain! We appreciate life so much more and begin to live life more gratefully!

As it is with any disease, whether it be cancer, heart, or any other life threatening thing, we need to encourage, love and support! Selfishness should never enter the equation! It is not about your loss, it is about their quality of life, they so deserve it! When I look at my mom, yes I see where she is, but the memories of her smile, especially this time of year, Christmas was her favorite.

It helps me to strive harder than ever to make Christmas a wonder memory of a life lived, not one lost! So if you have a loved one with Alzheimer's, cancer, heart conditions, etc., young or old, help them live life to the fullest! And when they go home, continue to live their life to the fullest, keeping their memory as a treasure, so we can also live our lives to the fullest!

We deserve a time to mourn, this is healthy, we also deserve the time to live, this is healthy also! Share the memories, the joys, that move us forward, not the losses that rob us of life and steal those precious memories and keep us from living! My mom is my mom no matter what, God gave her to me, I will not let Alzheimer's steal that, she is precious in His sight and should no less be in mine!

John 11:21-27
New International Version (NIV)

21 “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”

23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

24 Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

27 “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment