Thursday, February 27, 2014

Beat or aggravatingly upbeat?

There are people out there who do not care for people like myself who seem to always be upbeat! Well I am not always upbeat, sometimes I am beat, I just don't surrender to the beat part! My life has had obstacles, yet it has not been as bad as some around me. Those are the folks I watch, those are the folks I set my eyes on, who seem to always praise God even through the storms that come their way!

I have watched those around me, even young folks who have suffered tragedy, yet have not given up, they fight, they reach out to God their healer for help and strength. One such young man I would like to mention is Mike Rooney. He was in a motorcycle accident that put him in a wheelchair. A young man, in his early 20's, who could of given up and caved in yet with his faith in God, and a very loving family, he has done amazing things.

I remember my sister Robin, who I share very little about, at 18 dove in a swimming pool and broke her neck, her remaining years would be lived out as a quadriplegic. During that time she came to know Jesus Christ as Savior. Folks would tell me after a visit how their lives where changed, how, though they came to encourage and a left with more encouragement than they came with.

One Sunday morning as I was getting ready to preach, my heart was overwhelmed by a special guest and his mom and dad. Sometimes God just knows what you need to inspire you at a time you need it most. When I saw this young man being pushed through the door, a smile from ear to ear, if I had any doubts, if I was a little down, that smile of victory put me right back in touch.

With who you ask? God, Mike's unwillingness to give up reminded me that day, we have a God that can get us through anything if we just trust and hold on. Now I am sure Mike has his down times, and memories of youthful things he may not be as able to do. Yet he fights, his mom Michelle and dad Michael fight and pray. His sisters Kara and Erin fight and pray.

I watched this family come together and give God the glory, not for him to walk necessarily, but just grateful Mike is with them. Though there were times of trial, they reached out knowing and trusting that God would answer their prayers, and He did. Through traches, learning to eat again, to many other challenges, though beat at times Mike and his family were never beaten.

I do not even remember them asking for big miracles, but everyone they would receive, they gave God the glory. So you see, when you are feeling beaten, when you feel that life is unfair, you can give into the beat down and be defeated, or think of those around you going through so much more and find a reason to be aggravatingly upbeat.

Psalm 116:1-2 "I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice, and my pleas for mercy. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call on Him as long as I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment